- That which is practiced by The Ciderologist
- The study, teaching and championing of cider; often associated with a very large moustache.
- The perfect confluence of art, science and nature
Ciderology is an ethos; a way of life, if you will. As The Ciderologist, I have embarked upon a journey to spread the good word of cider. The principles of Ciderology are upheld by six Core Values:
- True love of cider: the perfect confluence of art, science and nature
- Espouse the unique traditions, heritage, culture and identity of cider in its heartland regions
- Advocate the development of sustainable, authentic cider industries in areas of new growth
- Champion artisan producers for their innovation and creation of high value products
- Support cider producers of all scales which continue to uphold the spirit of cider by making a responsible product and contributing to their local heritage, economy, environment and communities
- Celebrate and share the wonder of cider with the world
Cider is far more than merely an industry (ie the processing of raw materials into a product). In certain parts it forms the culture, heritage, lifeblood and defining feature. It is where the worlds of great artistry (for cider makers truly are artists), scientific application and the harnessing of nature, come together in perfect unison.
It is imbued with rich history, countless fables, Shakespearean-esque characters, fun & laughter and an inexorable connection to the land. Oh, and of course, a wonderful drink to be shared with friends, family and the people we meet on the carousel of life.
I have been exceedingly fortunate to have worked with cider for a number of years now; to have turned my passion into a profession. Confucius said “Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.” The Ciderologist will hopefully enable me to continue my love affair and go on the dole. Mind you, Confucius also said “Never give a sword to a man who can’t dance”, so what the bloody hell did he know?